Balinese bomber Umar Patek has his sentence reduced, confirms Anthony Albanese
Australian Prime Minister Anthony Albanese has confirmed that the bombmaker responsible for the 2002 Bali terror attack has had his sentence reduced.
- Mr Albanese said he had been told the bombmaker responsible for the Bali attack could have his sentence reduced
- Umar Patek was sentenced to 20 years in prison in 2012 for his role in the bombing, which left 202 people dead, including 88 Australians
- Mr Albanese said the government would establish diplomatic contacts with Indonesia over the decision
Umar Patek was sentenced to more than 20 years in prison in 2012 for his role in the attacks that killed more than 200 people, including 88 Australians.
Indonesian prisoners often get sentence reductions on Indonesia’s Independence Day, August 17.
Patek got a five-month slash, which could mean he will be paroled later this month.
However, the ABC has been told by Indonesian officials that terrorists are generally not eligible for parole, and no decision has been made on his release.
Any request must be addressed to the competent minister for approval.
If denied, the ABC was told Patek could remain in jail until 2029.
Mr Albanese said he learned of the decision to reduce Patek’s sentence overnight.
“We have been advised that there has been a further reduction in this person’s sentence of approximately five months,” he said.
“And that will of course add to the distress that Australians are feeling.”
Patek was also found guilty of weapons and conspiracy charges at a terrorist training camp in Aceh in 2009, and of mixing explosives for a series of Christmas Eve attacks on churches in 2000. .
Mr. Albanese confirmed that the government would establish diplomatic contacts with Indonesia over the decision.
“We will certainly make diplomatic representations on these issues, as well as the issues we continue to raise about Australians who are currently in Indonesian prisons, in Australia’s national interest,” he said. at Channel 7.
“My thoughts this morning are with the families of the victims of the Bali bombings.”
The federal opposition urges the government to pressure Indonesia against any early release.
Shadow Foreign Secretary Simon Birmingham told Sky the families of the victims expect Patek’s sentence to be served until 2029.
“There is no early release for these families from the pain and suffering they continue to endure,” he said.
“And it is not at all unreasonable to wait on their behalf, on behalf of all Australians who are outraged and all those around the world who felt the pain and outrage of the Bali bombings nearly 20 years, that those who have been tried, convicted and sentenced must serve their full sentence.
“The Albanian government should make strong representations to Indonesia, urging that this be the case.”
The 20th anniversary of the bombings is less than two months away, with commemorations planned across Australia.
Australian survivor ‘disappointed and appalled’
Former Kingsley Football Club captain in north Perth Phil Britten was at the Sari Club with his teammates when the bomb went off.
He told ABC Radio Perth that news of the bombmakers’ release left him in shock.
“Late last night I heard the news, and I was definitely disappointed, appalled to be honest,” he said.
“This situation that we’re dealing with – yes, we’re reflecting on 20 years of that terrible night, 20 years ago, but now we have to, I guess, deal with the emotions of this guy coming out as well.”